Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cold Starts

Ever since the new Drobo S was new, it was always a challenge to get it started.  It would frequently get stuck in the reboot cycle.  This is apparently a common issue because they provided a knowledge base article to cover it ( website link ).  The procedure involves removing the power cord during a startup sequence and removing the drives. It is a very risky procedure and it made me nervous every time.  It always got going but I just learned to never turn it off. 

I shut it down to blow out the dust but was unable to get it going again after hooking it up again.  I followed the familiar startup procedure but it was still stuck in the reboot cycle.  Time to get in touch with the dreaded tech support again.

Due to an upcoming vacation, I was in a small time crunch.  I put in a support ticket online and hoped that they would respond soon.  They didn't.  I had to call them, just like all the other times.  Because of my frustration and time restrictions, I wanted an advance replacement.  I wanted them to send me a new unit and I would ship the defective unit back in the same packaging.  They only offer advance replacement to customers who have purchased 'Drobo Care'; their version of extended warranty.  Did I mention that it is $250????  In so many words, I told them that they can stick their Drobo Care up their asses and they can send me an advanced replacement at their cost in consideration for all my time and frustration.  The low level employee on the phone wasn't able to grant this request but promised a call back from a manager. I was skeptical.

After two days and no phone call, I called them again.  They promised a call back the same day. Within an hour, I was on the phone with the RMA administrator.  He informed me that he would not grant my request.  After a heated discussion of the facts and history of problems, he was very understanding.  They sent out a new Drobo S on a courier the same day at their expense (both ways).  I pre-authorized a visa but it would not be charged unless I don't send the defective unit back.  It was pretty nice of them to finally see things my way, but it was two days too late and I did not get the unit before I went on vacation.  Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment