Thursday, December 9, 2010

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF... DROBO!

Anyone who has purchased a Drobo will recognize this heading from the Drobo packaging.  For a small office, I purchased a 2nd generation Drobo. I originally connected it to the network server via USB.  Although all the data was located on the Drobo, the network traffic and sharing was handled by the server.

After only two or three days of 'up' time, there was a power outage overnight. When I returned to the office in the morning, the Drobo was unresponsive and the data was inaccessible.  After days of correspondence with tech support, it was determined that all the data was corrupt and I would have to start again from scratch. Since the Drobo was not shut down properly, it caused massive data corruption. Thankfully, we still had external backups.

Fine... I guess it was my own fault for not placing it on a UPS. I guess it is too much to ask that an external hard drive can withstand a power outage. Whatever. 

I purchased a UPS, reformatted the drives, transferred the data and reestablished the network shares. The Drobo is back online and working (sort of).

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF..... PAIN!

4 comments:

  1. the only reason they are kissing your but is hoping you take this off the net...don't feel guilty the product is consumer grade junk. buy a proper raid HD and never have a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced the same type of problem. The drobo slowed down my application final cut pro. Video was jerky during playback. I knew it was a drobo problem because of all the comments I read by other users. I couldn't understand it,I still had 1.5 TB of space left on the drobo and it was still slowing down final cut. I disconnected drobo entirely and now don't have any problems. I don't have the patience to deal with this as my business depends on having a well running system,so I deduced to go with stardom. I will see if this solves the problem. As far as video editing goes I can't recommend this product.
    VS video

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you mention it, I could not watch a video and download something at the same time. I had to first transfer the video temporarily onto a different drive or else it would periodically freeze or become choppy.

    ReplyDelete